DSS say ‘One Chance’ robbers snatch Igboho aides’ case file from them

0
5

Photo: DSS operatives

DSS say ‘One Chance’ robbers snatch Igboho aides’ case file from them 

The State Security Service, SSS, told the Federal High Court, Abuja that some criminal elements, “one chance’’, had stolen its case-file.

The SSS said the case file contained the fundamental rights enforcement suit filed by the 12 associates of Yoruba nation agitator, Sunday Adeyemo (aka) Sunday Igboho.

- Advertisement -

When the matter was called on Wednesday, counsel to SSS, Idowu Awo, said the file which contained the court processes served on the SSS by the aides was stolen from a member of the service legal team.

Mr Awo said the “one-chance’’ thieves snatched the case-file from his colleague, who unknowingly boarded their vehicle.

The 12 associates of Igboho instituted the rights enforcement suit against the SSS for parading them in the media as common criminals.

In the suit, the aides are seeking a declaration of court that their detention beyond 48 hours and their media parade without a court conviction constituted a breach on their fundamental rights.

They are also seeking an order of perpetual injunction restraining the SSS from interfering with their personal liberty and freedom of expression.

The associates also prayed the court to order the SSS to pay them N100 million for aggravated and exemplary damages, for what they described as a serial breach of their constitutional rights.

Counsel to the 12, Timilehin Odunwo, told newsmen that his clients were also asking for an order restraining the SSS from any further harassment.

The judge, Justice Obiora Egwuatu, however, ruled that the case file be returned to the registry for reassignment to a regular court.

Mr Egwuatu said since the court’s annual vacation was almost over, he would not have time to hear and determine the matter as a vacation judge.

Operatives of the DSS on July 1 raided Igboho’s residence in Oyo and arrested 12 of his supporters.

They were subsequently moved to the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, where they were detained.

Subsequently, the detainees, through their lawyer, Pelumi Olajengbesi, filed an application asking the court to inquire into the circumstances constituting the grounds of their arrest and detention since July 2.

Mr Olajengbesi further asked the court that where it deemed fit, his clients should be admitted to bail.

Ruling earlier on the application on Aug. 4, Justice Egwuatu admitted all the applicants to bail.

Advertisement
Previous articleBreaking: kidnappers/killers of ex-Plateau Gov Dariye’s father confess
Next articleBreaking: FG approves 5G Network deployment for Nigeria

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.