Photo: Ajuri Ngelale, Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity.
Tinubu’s spokesman, Ngelale says era of condescending language by presidential spokesmen over
Newly appointed Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to President Bola Tinubu, Ajuri Ngelale, has declared that under him, the era of presidential spokesmen and women talking down on Nigerians using condescending language was dead and buried.
Ngelale made the declaration at a brief engagement with the State House Press Corps, on Tuesday, in Abuja.
Periscope International recalls that Ngelale was announced as the new official spokesman to the President on Monday, shortly after the President’s national broadcast. He replaces Dele Alake, who has been nominated for a ministerial position.
Ngelale said: “Gone forever, by the grace of God, are the days when government spokesmen and women would talk down on Nigerians or using condescending language on them and displaying some form of institutional arrogance on Nigerians. That would not happen under my leadership.
“The first and most important point I would want to make is that this institution belongs to Nigerians. It does not belong to any political party. It does not belong to any public official. It belongs to over 200 million citizens of this country both at home and abroad.
“And it is with that understanding that we will be engaging the world. We believe it is a right, not a privilege but the right of every Nigerian to have full access into the affairs of the Presidential Villa, into the affairs of the office of the President and the office of the Vice president.
“We will be more open in terms of providing access to information to radio networks, television networks, newspapers and online news media than ever before.”
While giving an insight into the President’s mindset, the Presidential Spokesman described President Tinubu as a man of empathy, who is committed to the cause of opening the presidency to Nigerians for the benefit of not just Nigerians but for the benefit of all public office holders.
He explained that it was in the interest of all public office holders to know that they were being watched so that they could be held accountable to deliver on the promises of the President in terms of the execution of government policies.
“We are going to, in very short order, announce a series of very tangible measures that have to do with the opening up of this institution on a daily basis in a deeper and more comprehensive way than has ever been seen before.
“The last point I want to make is that I have had the privilege of speaking with my predessessors. I believe in institutional memory, I believe in the importance of relying on the wisdom of those who have come before us. I have spoken with Dr Reuben Abati, I have spoken with Mr Femi Adeshina, I have spoken with Mr Segun Adeniyi. And I will continue to deepen those engagements.
“Irrespective of political affiliations, all of us love this country. And we’re going to do our bit to ensure that the Nigerian media feels that it has its rightful place in the affairs of government, in the affairs of public life and that institutions are open for them to deliver right, accurate and factual information to Nigerians,” the President’s media aide added.
Ngelale had earlier on Monday announced that he accepted with humility his appointment by the President to serve as his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity and as the President’s official spokesman.
The President’s spokesman, who is the son of a former Minister, Precious Ngelale, was also the Senior Special Assistant on Media and Public Affairs to former President Muhammadu Buhari.