Photo: University of Jos entrance gate
Unijos announces vacancy for position of new VC
The University of Jos has announced vacancy for the position of a new Vice Chancellor of the institution.
This is contained in a statement on the website of the university on Friday and signed by Chief Monday M. Danjem, its
Registrar/Secretary to Council.
According to the statement, all applicants for the position must not be less than 50 years old and not more than 65 years of age and must have attained the rank of a university professor not less than five years before the appointment.
The Vice Chancellor’s position had become vacant following the expiration of the tenure of the former VC, Prof Sebastian Maimako on June 23 this year.
A controversy which trailed the appointment of a successor to Prof Maimako has culminated in the appointment of an acting VC to oversee the affairs of the institution pending the appointment of a substantive one.
The statement reads in part:
UNIVERSITY OF JOS
OFFICE OF THE REGISTRAR
EXTERNAL AND INTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT FOR THE POST OF VICE-CHANCELLOR
The post of the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Jos, Nigeria became vacant on June 23, 2021. In accordance with the provisions of section 4 of the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) (Amendment) Act 2003, the Governing Council of the University of Jos wishes to commence the process for the appointment of a new Vice-Chancellor for the University. Consequently, applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified candidates for the position.
The University of Jos, a comprehensive public institution which started as the Jos Campus of the University of Ibadan in 1971 became a full-fledged University in 1975.
The University which is situated in Jos, capital of Plateau State, a city of serene environment with near temperate climate in Nigeria is very conducive for learning and research.
The vision of the University is to be a globally rated university providing an excellent educational experience with high impact on the society.
The University of Jos has contributed a lot to research and development of the needs of the community, solving various scientific, technological, environmental, socio-cultural, economic and other problems of the society. In the four decades of its existence, the University has built a reputation as one of the top-ranking research institutions in Africa; an effort which has made it to win many international awards such as the World Bank African Centre for Excellence in Phytomedicine Research and Development, the latest being the TetFund-sponsored Centre of Excellence in Food Security.
The University has collaboration with many national and international institutions. It has strong undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in 15 Faculties with a population of 34,868 full time undergraduate Students, 2,020 Non-NUC students and 2,437 full time postgraduate students.
The University has a full-time academic staff strength of 1,798, senior technical staff of 638, senior administrative staff of 473, secretarial staff of 189 and junior staff of 992.
THE POSITION THE VICE-CHANCELLOR
The Vice-Chancellor is the Chief Executive Officer of the Institution, an Ex-Officio Chairman of the Senate and Member of the University Governing Council. He/She shall exercise general supervision over the University and shall have general responsibility to Council for maintaining and promoting efficiency and order in the University. It shall be the duty of the Vice-Chancellor to ensure that the provisions of the Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations of the University are upheld. He/She shall also exercise such powers as may be expedient within the law.
The Candidate for the post of the Vice-Chancellor of the University must possess a good University Education from a recognized University and should be of impeccable integrity, a good manager of human and material resources. Specifically, the Candidate shall be expected to:
- Be a highly distinguished Scholar of the rank of Professor of not less than five (5) years experience as professor and not less than 50 years of age;
- He/She should have had a wide administrative and managerial experience and be capable of giving dynamic leadership to the University;
- Be one with high scholastic and academic credentials who must have outstanding accomplishments in academic and public life.
- He/She must also have a subsisting teaching and research position in a university;
- Command both national and international respect;
- Be a person who will not foster any personal, racial, ethnic, political, religious or other sectional interests;
- Exhibit entrepreneurial drive and ability to attract funds and endowment and to mobilize other resources for the development of the University;
- Be free from any form of financial encumbrances;
- Be of good physical and mental health;
- Be not more than sixty-five (65) years of age at the time of assumption of office
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE APPLICABLE TO THE POST
The Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years only on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the letter of appointment. The remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of the Vice-Chancellor in all Nigerian Federal Universities and as may be determined by the Government/Governing Council of the University as appropriate.
MODE OF APPLICATION
- Each application should be made in thirty (30) copies and be accompanied by thirty (30) copies of the candidate’s curriculum vitae duly signed and dated. The curriculum vitae must contain details of the candidate’s names in full, age, nationality, marital status, educational attainment, professional and academic achievements.
- Each application should include the names and addresses of three (3) referees. Each Referee must be contacted by the applicant to forward directly to the Registrar, a confidential report on the candidate’s character, academic and managerial competences in a properly sealed envelope marked Post of Vice-Chancellor: Referee’s Report at the top left hand corner of the envelope.
- Each application must also be accompanied by thirty (30) copies of statement of the candidate’s vision for the development of the University.
- In the case of the candidates identified by the Search Team, the application shall conform with the requirements in (i) and (ii) above, and in addition, the candidates shall present letters of consent duly signed by them along with their applications.
- All applications shall be submitted under confidential cover and addressed to:
The Registrar/Secretary to Council
University of Jos
Jos, Plateau State
Post code 930001 Nigeria
- The sealed envelope(s) containing the applications or nominations should be marked Post of Vice-Chancellor at the top left hand corner of the envelope and forwarded to reach the Registrar/Secretary to Council, not later than six weeks from the date of this advertisement.
CANDIDATES SHOULD PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY THOSE WHO ARE SHORTLISTED WILL BE CONTACTED.
Chief Monday M. Danjem
Registrar/Secretary to Council.
e-mail: [email protected]
Web address: www.unijos.edu.ng